Too much fun

So the weekend after I got back from Hawaii, I went to Moab to help teach the Wilderness Medicine Course there. It was my first time teaching for Wilderness Med and I had a great time. We basically ran through various scenarios with the students to see how they would assess different situations. My scenario was fairly easy: man went on hike and had too much water so was hyponatremic (low sodium).

Alex and my friend Ash (a fellow instructor) came with me. We stayed in a hotel Friday night and went to Canyonlands Saturday afternoon for camping/hiking. I forgot to refill my tank so my car was low on gas by the time we reached Canyonlands but lucky me...we found a gas station near needles outlook and the lady there told us about a nice camping spot since the ones in the park were full. It was exciting because we had to go off the road, through a fence (the lady told us where the fence can be lifted up) and drive on a dirt road to get to the campsite.....my poor car barely made it. Post setup, dinner, fire, and great conversations, we had a very restful night and proceeded with our plans to hike the needles area on Sunday. It was my first time doing a long hike with Alex and poor boy...we threw him right in with a 10mile hike to Chesler park and devil's kitchen. The views were spectacular and the hike definitely ranks among my top ten. It was a great trip overall and we will be doing a similar itinerary in Zions this weekend :)

When I came back last week, I found out that our paper got rejected post revisions and the reviewer comments were absurdly harsh. My boss emailed the chief editor and they have given us another shot so we are now scrambling to do another rebuttle. Sigh. More more more work. I did take Baby to the new playground at liberty part though. She loved it. The new playsets were fantastic and many of the playground toys were built for children with disabilities so I thought that was cool. For instance, they had these giant wind chimes that kids could hit and instead of regular swings, they had chair swings equip with seatbelts. I will definitely have to take Baby there again!

This past weekend was also full of activities for me. On Thursday, I went to watch Alex play basketball at BYU (he is very good). We then drove back to SLC together. The following day, we finally got up early in time to grab bagels from Einstein's before I went to work and he went to a coffee shop to finish his case files. We met up for lunch/shoe shopping (we both needed new running shoes). Then, I went back to work for lab meeting/RIP. The night culminated with a BBQ at one of my friend's house and a drink at Dick and Dixes. Activities continued Saturday with a 6mile run (yes Alex made it!) followed by a trip back to provo for Alex's friend's birthday lunch. You can imagine that we were exhausted so we took a nap only to wake up for AVENGERS! (so so good!). On Sunday, Alex made me breakfast and we drove back to SLC. We studied together at a coffee shop for awhile and then when on another 3 mile run. My legs were sore and my feet decided the said new running shoes don't fit so I will have to take it back. Alex came to church with me Sunday night and then we got takeout from little world to eat at my apartment with my friends...all in all a fantastic weekend. I just can't believe how well things are going for me. After all that's happened this year, everything lately has been surreal. Even more surreal is that the fun doesn't end here. I will go to Zions this weekend and San Francisco next weekend. Here's some more pictures:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?