Catching Up

(I realize I wrote this a month ago and never published it...fail)

It has been a really eventful May. I defended (Yay!), got married (double yay!), and went to DC/Haiti.

The defense was rather uneventful. I went to the ASCI/APSA conference right before so I felt a bit underprepared but when a presentation is on something you've been doing for the past 4 years, it isn't so bad. The department got me flowers as did my lab and I was able to go out that night for celebratory drinks with some close friends. I can't believe I am a doctor now (but still not a real one lol).

The following week, I cleaned out my desk and went on a trip to Denver, Colorado for the annual ARVO conferance. It was a lot of fun and guess what?!?!?! I won best poster. That's $100 for doing good science. Hehe

Following ARVO, I had about a week to make final preparations for the wedding. My stomach was in knots the whole week because the weather kepted fluctuating. I finally resigned myself to the fact that it would rain on my wedding day. Dave and I made up a plan B....we got heaters for the tent, decided to move our ceremony into the tent, and redesigned the tent set up. The days leading up to the wedding was chaotic but with the help of family and friends, we were able to pull of the wedding of my dreams. My only regret is not having more time for photos because though I love love love all the photos throughout the day, I don't have many of just Dave and I.

After our eventful wedding weekend, Dave and I came home, unwrapped gifts and left for DC. Our flight kept getting delayed so we actually left 1 day later but it was still enough time to see DC. My friend Kristen hosted us for a few days and we got a hotel for the last two nights. We had a great time and it was the perfect mini-moon.

Because of my packed schedule, we didn't get to hang out too long. I left for Haiti the day we got back from DC.

Haiti was great. I basically worked as a scrub nurse since I have no optho training but it was cool to see the surgeries and I got to do all the pre/post-op stuff. I even got to anesthetize all the patients with retroorbital blocks. It was scary at first to poke a needle into the back of people's eyes but all the patients were very compliant and I got fairly good at it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?