Burma

Lately I have been thinking about justice. Diseases of the human body are unjust: non-smokers get lung cancer, viruses are non-discriminatory, and hospitals are full of infections that make patients worse. I wonder if acceptance of such things has made us immune to injustices and it saddens me to think that I am a part of a population that turns a blind eye to the unjust plight of others.

I loved Burma when I went there and I was fortunate to stay with my friend's family who were very well-off and very devote doctors yet they employed young girls as maids. Though I understand these girls could have been met with a worse fate, their lives are not easy. Waking up at 6/7am every day, they do the majority of the housework, cooking, cleaning, etc just to have a roof over their heads. I remember that on my third day there, the heat overtook my senses and I became physically ill. I awoke the next day with a fever but what surprised me more was the child maid (14 years old) sleeping on the cold floor at the foot of my bed. It was explained to me that she was ordered there so that I can be tended to properly as the distinguished guest but it sickened me. How did we allow such a system to come about? When did we start diluting ourselves that by giving these children "jobs", food, and clothing, we are humanitarian?

I vowed long ago that I would help people but more and more, I realize that there is too much that needs help.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?