Spring Happenings

Yes it has been awhile but between getting through my rebuttle, b2b, and other obligations, I have had very little time to write.  Of note, I started an art class (color pencil) and it meets once a week. I love it because it is something I don’t normally get to do and I find it very relaxing. Back in high school, I was actually good at art so with my last PhD year, I decided to do all the things I know I won’t get to do when I go back to medical school.

Yes….you heard right. I think I only have a year left (maybe even less so if my committee agree). I will be finishing my current papers and hopefully not taking on anything new. I just gave my (hopefully) last journal club today on supergene in fire ants. I think the faculty was ok with it and I felt that I did a decent job (though I could have been more familiar with the experiments).  I also told my boss I’d like to graduate next spring. That way I’ll have a month to travel to either Butan or Micronesia with an optho group to reimmerse myself in clinical care.

As for bench to bedside….we won best business! It was a very busy night where we had to present to a lot of judges but I am happy we won. I actually think our device may have some legs so we are talking about getting a full patent. This would entail getting another engineer to make a better prototype of our device.

Also of note, I moved in with Dave. It feels weird. I mean, I was very excited to unpack all my stuff after putting them in my parent’s basement a year ago but it feels like such a big commitment. I am donating some of my stuff like dishes and things but in the back of my mind, I couldn’t help thinking “what if this doesn’t work out and I need that stuff again?” I guess relationships are leaps of faith and I have to take a leap on this one.

I think those are the major changes that occurred so yeah…my life isn’t too exciting lately but it is about to get real exciting. I am going to the Narrows in Zion this weekend. I am super excited because it is my second backpacking trip ever….hiking in, camping, then hiking out. Also, it has been on my wish list for over a year now so I jumped at the chance when Kevin invited me on the trip. Dave and I got some new gear: him a sleeping mat, me a cocoon and a lighter pad. We will probably have to rent wetsuits since it will be cold but I can’t wait!

I am also heading to Peru next week. Ashlie is leaving a few days before me but I will meet up with her in cusco. Then, we will go to Puerto Maldonad and spend 5 days in the Amazon. We are going to one of the most remote jungle research centers in the world. It reminds me of Ann Patchett’s book State of Wonder. Hopefully we won’t meet the same fate as some of the characters in her book! After the Amazon, we are going to trek Machu picchu. Instead of the popular Inca Trail, we will be doing the 5D/4N Salkantay trail. It is more strenuous, longer, but gets us to the same place at a fraction of the price. We are going to try out one of the world’s longest zip lines and soap in mineral pools along the way. I can’t write how excited I am.


Finally, I have A LOT of conferances, weddings, and graduations coming up. I will be going to a friends wedding in May, Lilly’s graduation in June, two conferences out-of-state in July, and another wedding in August. I feel immensely lucky and to add to my mood…the sun is out and it is getting warmer! Yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?