Opthalmology Rotation

At my school, we get 4 weeks of elective time during third year. These are technically fourth year elective but they try to give you some time to figure out if you like something outside of the core clerkships. I was thinking of using 2 of my weeks to explore PM&R or Cardiology but in the end, I decided to do 2 weeks of research and 2 weeks of opthalmology. This is because I am interested in Opthalmology but not really interested in anything else so I'm going to use the research time to a) study and b) finish up some on-going research and hopefully submit an abstract to ARVO.

I had a good time on opthalmology overall. I like the first week more then the second and I certainly like that there is not exam at the end but since I am studying for medicine, I didn't really slack off. Dave and I did squeeze in some fun though: a movie (mission impossible....so good), dinners with our families, massages, and I got to go on a hike and get a manicure with Felicia. Next up is 2 weeks of research!

Things I liked:
  • -       Very clear problems
  • -       Specialized so I can be potentially very good at one little thing
  • -       The awesome and awe inspiring surgeries
  • -       Usually good outcomes so immediate gratification
  • -       Global Health potential
  • -       The prestige of doing something only the best get to do
  • -       Good research opportunities and descent hours once you are done with training
  • -       I have a lot of good friends in it

Things I disliked
  • -       Some ophthalmologists are very arrogant
  • -       We don’t really learn ophthalmology in med school so there is a steep learning curve
  • -       Residency seems hard because you have to learn a lot both knowledge-wise and surgically
  • -       So many intimidating tools
  • -       Outpatient medicine: It is decided that I find outpatient boring. Though the hours are nice, I am somehow more exhausted at the end of the day.
Some photos as proof that I am not studying all the time (just most of the time):

Felicia playing with my leftover wedding props

Went hiking!!! YAY!!!

Me in clinic....you can't tell but I was SOOOO bored

My adorable niece


Felicia's first manicure! It was all she wanted for her 8th birthday. I can not believe she is 8!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?