On Mentorship

In Sheryl Sandberg's book "Lean In", she talks about how some women will ask for mentors but good/great mentors are borne out of circumstances and not from asking. I agree with her to some extent...

Remember when I was depressed about grad school? Well...in March I got to attend a Gordon conference in Galveston, TX. I didn't go with my PI but rather, one down the hall who is an expert in the field of megakaryocyte research. There, we went on daily runs and when it got time for him to present, I helped him put together a powerpoint on my work (including myself in the acknowledgement slide at the end). What surprised me was that he was so gracious even though I was just trying to be a good grad student. He not only introduced me to all the big names in the field but he also had my picture up in one of his first slides...acknowledging my work up front. Yes, I'm prone to flattery but what resulted was the beginning of a great mentorship. He has since propelled my research further and given me the leeway to express my own ideas. I in turn feel indebted to him and try very hard to make him proud. To this day, we go on runs as a way for me to "check in". We talk about science, family, relationships, etc and I feel lucky to have such a guy in my court.

On the other hand, I am somewhat interested in ophthalmology and I heard through the grapevine that the Chief our our eye center mentors two students a year. I blatantly asked if he would be my mentor and as luck will have it, he agreed. This mentorship (though invaluable) is different. He mainly gives me opportunities (to write some clinical papers, help resident's with their research projects, shadow ophthalmologists, etc). I hardly see him and don't feel personally close to him but you need people on your side who can also open doors for you. 

I am feeling really lucky that I have such people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?