Undergrads aka Minions

Today was fairly hectic. I woke up early for TDS (a version of journal club but for my lab only). Then, I planned out my experiments for the day. I managed to accomplish all but one of the experiments I had planned because it was just too hard to inject dye into baby mice. Don't worry. It doesn't hurt the mice but it does give me a nice permeability readout (if it had worked).

One of the perks of moving up in the grad school world is that I have my own minions (undergrads). I am fortunate enough to have two and both have worked with me for almost a year now. They want to apply for medical school and I want their hands so I can get things done at a faster rate. So far, this has been working out with some lessons along the way:

1) Never assume someone you are training knows anything

2) Give them opportunities to answer questions and think through experiments but help if they are stuck (undergrad are like scared deer...they need to be pushed but not over the edge)

3) Be VERY clear in your instructions...down to the last minutia

4) Understand that people are only helpful if you trust them and be patient because trust takes a while to build

5) Always ask yourself how you would like to be treated if the roles were reversed

6) Give them bathroom breaks and lunch breaks. (Sometimes I don't eat lunch so I forget that other people do)

Since I have had my undergrads for awhile now, they have acclimated to their roles and I have learned to trust they can do things without me peering over their shoulders. This has SIGNIFICANTLY freed up my time and in retrospect, I have gotten more things done. One of my undergrads is very good with mice maintenance and the other is good at staining. They are both good at data analysis and these combination of skills have been invaluable. In return, I just finished writing them stellar letters of recommendation for med school. Today, I feel blessed for their help.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

What goes down must come up?