Things change on a dime

Things can change rather quickly as the past week revealed.

I thought I was going to camp down in zion and do angel's landing + subway with 8 friends but only 5 of us were able to go. Most people canceled the night before. I hate when people do that. Unless some big emergency comes up, I think people should at least have the decency to cancel early. But that aside, I was really looking forward to the trip because fall in Zions is one of my favorite things. However, since this post is about change...I got a sore throat friday and woke up sick saturday. Did I still go? yes...but hiking was kind of miserable. I had one of my worst camping experiences saturday night because my throat hurt, my lungs were all congested, and I could not sleep through the night. Poor bf...I woke him up twice and he had to carry medicine for me all weekend.

Then I got back and got even sicker! I didn't go to work yesterday. Instead, I slept the whole day and woke up exhausted! I am constantly amazed by how much being sick can suck the energy out of you. Because I was sick yesterday, I also missed Andrew Soloman's talk....he's the guy that gave the amazing TedTalk "Love No Matter What".  Bummer right? Well...I recovered enough to go to work today only to find out that my paper (the one I've been trying to get out for month now) had a serious mistake that will take another few days for our image editor to revise. Double bummer. But wait for it....my co-author (of whom I am good friends with) wrote and asked to be listed as first co-author. This would make me second. Now, in the great scheme of things, it probably doesn't make a difference but I want to graduate in the next 2 years from this PhD thing so I think I will fight for it. It just sucks that such a small issue can mean the difference between my graduation guarantee and the uncertainty I've been struggling with for years now.

On top of all this, the bf was told today that he has to leave tomorrow...TOMORROW for a business trip. This means we had to cancel our plans for the rest of the week: Life according to Sam screening tomorrow, Other Desert Cities Thursday, and Avenue Q date Friday. This also meant I had to find a backup plan saturday because I needed someone to take me/pick me up from the airport. I am flying to Jennie's Memorial Service. All this is fine but I miss him already.

All in all, these changes taught me to be thankful for the things/people/time that I do have because a) this is the month of thanksgiving and b) we never know when and how much things will change.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?