Getting fit and trying not to sweat the small stuff

The past week has been busy. In an effort to get fit, I have been working out a lot. I would realistically like to tone up a bit and lose 5 pounds by December. This is not because I am uncomfortable with my weight. I just think I could be healthier and a lot of it has to do with the way I eat. Working in a lab is great because time is flexible. I can leave early one day and stay late the next but there really isn’t any regularity and as a result, my eating has suffered. Sometimes, I’ll be doing an experiment for 6hours and forget to eat. Other times, I just simply can’t stop so I often skip lunch. The fact that I’m too lazy to wake up and eat breakfast only compounds the problem.

To try and fix this on-going issue, I have been trying to work out at least once per day and eating 5 small meals. I have been forcing myself to plan out my meals…starting with breakfast, which is usually a fruit or some Naked juice. Then for lunch, I will have half a sandwich followed by a snack at three, a light dinner and maybe another snack before I go to bed.

I really just want to be a few pounds below my current weight so I’m not doing anything too drastic and I think it is working. This past weekend, I ran the Moab Half Marathon and shaved off 20min from my last year’s time! I didn’t even push myself all that hard either. I think next year, I am going to try for a sub 2hr time.  


In not so bright news, lab has been sucking lately. I’ve been getting really exciting data but lab politics sometimes get to me. Overall, I am still happy though. We are about to submit our manuscript and I’ve discovered a new signaling pathway in my megakaryocytes. All exciting stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?