Saturday Lab Day

Call me crazy but I actually like being at work on the weekends. There is no one around and I'm free to walk/run around without fear. In addition, I get full access to everything. :)

Today I am doing two pull-downs and attempting to genotype. Of course I'm too novice to be entrusted with actual genotype work so as I acclimate to my new role, I am spending my time "checking" other people's work. It's a good thing too because I seem to forget a lot of things....1% gel or 3% gel...3% milk but what exactly do I dilute it with? Such stupidity is best left for the weekends where there is no one around to see me screw up.

As a bonus, I don't have to read papers while at work. Instead, I get to do things like...I don't know...update my blog. I don't know about you but in the actual M-F work environment, I always feel obligated to be doing something productive. Even when I'm not doing experiments, I feel like I should be reading papers or something but since I have the attention span of a fly, I really need a quite environment to read. Thus, most of the time, I am just pretending.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm a BIG proponent of playing when you can. For instance, there is no way I'll be coming tomorrow. In fact, one of the reasons I decided to go into the MD/PhD was because it's like a scenic route. You'll still reach your destination but you're allowed to make pit stops. It doesn't hurt that the program pays for said pit stops. For me, this meant being able to go to Spain, India, Japan, Honduras, etc. I don't think I've stayed home for any of the major holidays since starting med school. Here's to working hard and playing hard!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?