Getting your hopes up

I hope for a lot of things but I hate getting my hopes up. When I was little, I use to play a game where I try to imagine the worst outcome (never getting into college, family dying, etc) just so that I would be prepared for the worst. Not healthy I know but I am fearful of let downs. Maybe this is why I am most scared of letting other people down. I have a hard time saying no, a hard time ending relationships, and a hard time hoping in general. But, just to put it out there, I am feeling very hopeful today...to the point that it scares me and reminds of this Emily Dickenson poem:

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Done!!!!

Undergrads aka Minions

What goes down must come up?